Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Week of Ups and Downs

Hi all,

I felt like I should update, but I don't have terribly exciting things to say. It was an interesting week. You already know, of course, about the Kare 11 story on me. The reactions I've gotten have been interesting, to say the least. Some people are saying very nice things. Some people are saying that I looked like I just rolled out of bed, and if I knew I was going to be on TV, I could at least try to look nice. Trust me, I WISH I had looked better that day! I didn't know I was going to be on TV until about 25 minutes before it happened!

Valentine's Day is always an interesting holiday. For the past few years, I've hated it. This year, I was pretty neutral. Chance McGovern came over on the 13th. I made him dinner and we watched a movie. Thusly, I went into Valentine's Day with a pretty positive attitude - Knowing that, for the first time in years, there's someone who I really like and who likes me, too. Knowing that there's a prospect of a relationship evolving. So instead of hating Valentine's Day this year, it just felt like a normal day...A normal day where I ate a lot of chocolate.

After Chance left on Monday night, I glanced at Facebook and saw that my first love got engaged. I was 11 when Mitch and I met and, in my silly pre-teen world, I was immediately convinced that we were soul mates. We became good friends, and just after 8th grade graduation, we started dating. Our relationship was fraught with challenges from the beginning. We ended up breaking up, then getting back together, then breaking up, then getting back together...Ahh, the drama of middle/high school. We broke up for good in the fall of 2001. That was over 10 years ago! I vividly remember it, too - We were both Madrigal singers and we were lined up to enter our high school auditorium with the rest of the group. We were going to sing the Star-Spangled Banner to kick off some special event...This was shortly after 9/11. Just as we were about to walk onstage, Mitch leaned over to me and whispered "This isn't going to work out." HA. My rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner was a bit tearier than usual that night...

Despite the problems we had, I have so many good memories of our relationship. We went to Junior Prom together. He brought me back a beautiful music box from his trip to Europe. We would sit at Lilacia Park or Sunset Knolls and talk for hours. He used to make me mix-tapes...You know, back when cassettes were still in existence! Mitch is a really fantastic person. He's completely brilliant, he's funny, he's much more outgoing than I am, and he's very musically talented.

I wasn't a good match for him back in high school. We went our separate ways after graduation, but keep in touch through Facebook and the occasional phone call or text. When I'm back in the Chicago-area, I try to see him, but that hasn't happened in a while. So when I found out that he's engaged, it certainly wasn't a surprise to me - I knew that he'd been dating this girl and living with her for a while now. And I'm super happy for them! It's just...Weird. This is the first time one of my exes has gotten married, and it's a weird feeling. I'm not quite sure if I'm supposed to feel happy for them, or if I'm supposed to feel jealous, or if I'm supposed to not care at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment