Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Perilous Life of a "Famous" Blogger

So as many of you know, I was on Kare 11 yesterday.

Let me back up.

I was sitting at my desk yesterday afternoon, happily working, when I received an e-mail out of the blue from Jana Shortal. My initial thought was, "Who is Jana Shortal?" I don't have TV right now, so I don't watch the news. After googling her and determining that the e-mail was legit, I was even more confused. She said she wanted to interview me about this project, but...WHY? I'm not that interesting of a person. Besides, I was at work. It wasn't going to be possible.

But she was persistent. She said it would be a fun Valentine's Day story. And so after a few e-mails back and forth and a possibly reckless decision on my behalf, I agreed to let her come interview me as long as she would mention CLIMB Theatre on the air. We can always use the press, even if it's associated with such a weird story.

She said she'd be there in half an hour. That's when I started to panic. I hadn't put on any make-up that morning. I'd only had, like, five hours of sleep. My hair was thrown back in a ponytail. They wanted to put me on the news, looking like crap, to talk about a project that is currently on hold and I'm hoping will be defunct soon? WHY?

The good news is that Jana is ADORABLE, and despite my hesitation, it was actually a pleasure to meet her and chat with her for a while. She's cute, funny, and not at all what I was expecting when I was picturing the typical Minnesota reporter. Jana and her co-worker Monica set up cameras in our performance space, in front of one of our sets (because they liked it), and we talked for probably around an hour.

I was still nervous, though, especially because Chance and I have been getting along really well and I didn't want to make things weird between us. I feel like the more attention gets drawn to this project, the less it may seem like I'm sincere in my feelings toward him. Trust me, I'm sincere. He's fantastic, and I'm still very much hoping that things will continue between us. After Jana left I caught up on some work, went to Zumba class, went home, and called Chance. I was upset by this point and regretting my decision to be interviewed. He understood. He agrees, I think, that the brashness of this project isn't necessarily representative of who I really am or what I want out of a relationship. I'm glad he understands that and isn't holding this project against me!

Like I said before, I don't have TV, but I knew as soon as they aired the segment because I started getting texts and e-mails from my friends. I didn't get to watch it until this morning. It's not awful. I don't look great (no make-up, like I said, and the camera angle isn't too flattering). It's also a very short segment of course, which I expected, but it's hard to remember that we talked for almost an hour and then try to fit all of that into 90 seconds! Plus, it's just weird to see yourself on a major news station.

You can watch the story here:  http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=962112

Hello to everyone who came here because of Kare 11! I hope you enjoy what you read, even though the project is on hold right now. We'll see what happens in the future. I hope you all had a great Valentine's Day. Did anyone do anything exciting or out of the ordinary?

2 comments:

  1. Julie, I think you should pass the torch to me! I can most definitely go on 52 dates this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie: You are awesome! Keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete