Thursday, January 12, 2012

Get thee to a nunnery!

The title of this post is not only a quote from "Hamlet" but also a shout-out to anyone reading this who may have been in my 12th grade English class.

About a week ago, I was sitting in my boss's office when my co-worker, Jess, made some sort of veiled comment about this project. This of course led to my boss asking me what was going on, and being the open person I am, I told her.

I expected her to either think it was cool or to think it was a terrible idea. As it turns out, she not only is completely fascinated by it and continuously asks me about my upcoming dates, she also had a similar story to tell!

"Did I ever tell you about my cousin, the nun?"

My co-worker and I shook our heads.

"One of my cousins was a nun, and a very accomplished one. She helped to found that children's hospital..." My boss thought for a moment before remembering the name. "St. Jude. She helped to found St. Jude. But she didn't always want to be a nun."

I wouldn't blame her.I mean, there aren't very many people who want to be nuns. It's a pretty thankless job and frankly sounds pretty boring to me. As I thought about this, my boss continued.

"When she first thought that maybe she was supposed to be a nun, she wasn't happy about it. The celibacy thing, you know. So she made a vow to herself: She was going to go on 100 dates, and if she didn't meet anyone special during those 100 dates, she would become a nun."

My boss stopped there, as if the story was over. I already knew the answer of course, but I asked anyway:  "So...Did she go on the dates?"

"Oh, yes. And didn't meet anyone special, I guess."

And that was the end of the story. That was it! I mean, what's the moral there?! If this woman went on 100 dates and didn't find anyone special, how am I supposed to meet someone in just over half that many? Am I doomed to be alone for the rest of my life? Am I supposed to become a nun or something?

Sure, I suppose you can make the argument that the only reason she didn't meet anyone is because she was SUPPOSED to become a nun, it was God's plan, blah blah blah. If you believe in that stuff, fine. All I know is that right now, 52 dates is UNFATHOMABLE to me. I mean, I've gone on TWO and it's already tiring. Not the date themselves, those are fine. But the process of trying to find people, coordinate schedules, decide where to go...Ugh! It's tiring! And is anything going to come out of it? Am I going to meet someone special? Or am I doomed to a life of involuntary celibacy?

2 comments:

  1. i will be, the person, first, to comment on this. because: A) i always have an opinion, expressed or repressed. and 2) i'm drunk....so i'm going to express.
    my mother was in a convent. she joined a convent after High School, and why the hell not. it was the 1950s, and what the hell else was going on. she became disillusioned..it wasn't what she thought it was going to be. Years later, one of her HS teachers said to her: "you know....if you'd joined OUR order, that never would have happened." obviously, i'm happy she didn't join THAT order, as i might not be here, otherwise. she did however start taking Judo classes....at the YMCA...this has nothing much to do with my father, other then her SISTER, met a young Air Force Pilot...who had just come home from Viet Nam, and HIS best friend from grade school and High School, ended up being the best man at his wedding, where my mother ended being the Maid of Honor...you see where i'm going with this? you meet your soul mate, when it happens...and you can't plan the circumstances of the time. one of these blind dates might be that guy...they might be the best friend of that guy...it might be someone you meet at an art fair, or any other time. i think its awesome that you are doing this and expanding the circle in which you can meet people. cause the right one might be the most unexpected one who comes along. ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie I think you need to make a post of the type of guy you want to date for example:
    age range:
    height:
    profession:
    etc:

    this may help people set you up =)

    ReplyDelete